On Fridays I have my normal usual sweet Palo Alto pack. They are seriously the best. There is no yelling for them to stay with the group. There is no fighting (usually). You just get to enjoy being out there. That is until you get two intact males together in the same group. Most dog people know if you put unneutered males together there is more chance of aggression. Well as you can imagine this didn't go over well.
One of the unneutered dogs is an older lab named Johnny. He is gorgeous and I believe his owners haven't fixed him yet because they plan on breeding him. He has been part of my group for awhile. His owners send him numberous times through out the week. He's never really starts anything with the other dogs. He is always ahead of my pack. Which is good.. no one to stand in his way. The second unneutered dog is an 8 month old pit named Hendrix. He is a puppy.. he does puppy things. He is a ball of energy and very very VERY playful with everyone. Completely non-aggressive. He bows to the other dogs..if he gets growled at by anyone he leaves them alone. That I found to be very reassuring. What you don't need is a pit who stands up for himself.
So a week before last friday I had them in my group. Hendrix went up to Johnny as he made his rounds and got growled at which was fine. The rest of the walk Hendrix steered clear of Johnny and there were no issues. Last friday Hendrix and myself didn't get so lucky. It seemed Johnny was alittle pissed to see Hendrix return to his group and while Hendrix was oblivious to Johnny's attitude made his rounds through out my group saying hi and seeing who he could intise to play with him. He ran right up to Johnny and that was the end of that. Johnny started attacking Hendrix. Full on getting on top of him and going at it. Hendrix, poor Hendrix was scared and frightened and tried getting away which is where it involved me. Hendrix ran right for me for protection. Right under my legs which wasn't good because I had another mellow dog beside me that doesn't like drama and gets aggressive when it gets near her. So before I know it I have 3 dogs under me and fangs are flying. I knew I didn't want to be in the middle of this battle so I ran out of it which actually puts the attention on me and gets the dogs to stop and wonder what the hell I'm running around for. On my way out Johnny managed to get me once in the hand. I looked down at my hand with surprise. He got me so good and before the blood came I was abled to get a good look at the inside of my hand, nerves and all which really REALLY grossed me out.
This is where the fun begins.. So I call the office tell them I got hurt and I'm bleeding all over the place. I'm sure in their head they think eh, she has a little bite. I mean we do work with dogs and sometimes they get into little scuffles and most of us if you work there long enough and enough days will have one of those days and get injured. So I'm not mad about how things are handled. I feel guilty so I tell them I'm fine and I can continue the walk. There is no need to come out or for me to head back and get in everyones way. It's not life I broke a leg or something. So I'm bleeding and putting pressure on my hand and my fellow coworkers are calling and checking in on me. This all happened at the beginning of the walk so I have to hike 5 miles. I bet getting that heart pumping and trying to stop the bleeding wasn't the best of ideas of mine but it was nice to be out there with my pack thinking about things. So I made it finally back to the pens where my coworkers loaded all my dogs up for me and we examined my injury. It was bad. I called the office again and so did my coworkers to tell them I need to go see a doctor becauses this bite is going to need stitches. My boss apparently was stressin' out when I told him about my bite earlier and had to leave the office for a bit so I was mostly dealing with the office assistant Shelly. We decided I would start doing my drop offs and meet my boss, Sean along my route so he could take over and I could head to the ER. We finally met up at 4:30 and I got to the ER at 5. So that's about 6.5 hours after the incident happened and I'm still bleeding. The real fun began.. I sat there at San Mateo Medical Center for 8 hours.. 5 in the front and 3 in the back on a bed in the hallway waiting to be seen. My mom joined me about 6 hours into it after hearing I was still there and no closer to getting out of there. We sat together and chatted. Even an intern gave me a bag lunch that was in the frig after hearing me tell my mom how hunger I was. I hadn't eaten since breakfast so as you can imagine.. the loss of blood and lack of food for the day had me feeling a bit wozzy. 1am.. I finally get my hand looked at for the first time since being there. yes yes.. to no surprise I needed stitches.. let's get on with it folks.. let's go let's go let's go. I swear this place is slow. The reason I still have a possible infection 6 days laters might have something to do with the time frame I was working with here and the lack of treatment. 8 stitches later and some antiobitics I'm ready to head home at 2am. I wish my mom well and thank her for staying with me and drive home then off to bed. On the drive home I call and leave my boss a message.. I'm fine, 8 stitches and meds...I'm off to bed and he'll see me Monday at work ready to go.
Sunday... the nurse calls to check up on me. I tell her I'm not feeling well... she tells me to come on in AGAIN. How I didn't want to go back to that hell hole but I did. I call my mom and tell her where I'm headed.. she heads over as well to be a mom. I love when she does this. I get put in the back fast this time. I start getting sicker and sicker. My body aches..I have a fever..My arm hurts (the one I got the injury on)... I have numbness in my hand.. I look ghostly white..I'm miserable and I'm kinda afraid something might be seriously wrong . A mean doctor comes in with an attitude and tells me it's anxiety and nothing more. Sends me home with vics, motrin, and some anxiety meds. Hmm.. well I'm sure she is right..I guess..I am kinda worried about my job and the numbness in my hand. She also gives me a doctor's note telling my work I won't be working for a week.. GREAT. I'm sure my work will really be loving me now. I get home call my boss and break the news. He comes over with a bit of an attiude not the best call with my mom being with me and gets upset with me. My mom returns with telling him all the things he has done wrong with handling this issue.. like lawsuit shit.. wow.. okay.. please mom don't make them hate me.. it's a small company and I have to work here after I'm better..I WANT to work here..I love my job.
As for this week..workers comp has gotten ahold of me and sent me to one of their doctors who has since told me I will not be returning for another 2 weeks.. 3 weeks and no work wow I guess it is kinda serious.. I'm sad and miss my dogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment